Saturday, June 19, 2010

One Week

I can't believe my baby boy is a week old already! Time really does fly by - especially when you are just keeping track of time based on last feedings and diaper changes!

Some fun things this week:
* Lightning! One reflex that newborns have to shoot their arms and legs out and then quickly pull them back in when they are startled. They also do this in their sleep. We call it "lightning" because it looks like he is trying to shoot lightening bolts out of his fingers!
* Smiling! David smiles all the time in his sleep. It is still just a reflex and he doesn't do it when he is awake, but the grins he gives up while he is sleeping are the best things ever! He has Daddy's smile!
* He lost his umbilical chord stump last night. Kind of early, but it makes diaper changing easier!

Some things we learned this week:
* David sleeps like his parents do. We can hardly wake him up for feedings. I have a new born who gets up to eat twice a night. And I usually have to wake him up for one of those feedings! I know other parents who would be very jealous!
* Even if they latch on right away, are gaining weight, and producing more than enough dirty diapers a day, breast feeding is still tricky. The lactation consultants from the hospital are amazing and have provided lots of good support and helped me feel better!
* Giving birth takes a crazy emotional toll on a person. I have cried more this last week than I have in a long time and Dan has started talking in his sleep again.
* David goes through more diapers than any baby I have ever known! He will poop in a fresh diaper before we have even fastened it onto his little bottom!
* He also goes through lots of clothes! One must remember that little boys will pee out the top of their diaper if you don't tuck things away properly!

The most important thing we learned this week is how amazing it is to love someone so much! Our love for each other has grown in the love we have for our little boy. We are so blessed to be his parents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these posts. I sat at my desk reading them today and I had THE biggest grin on my face. Reading this truly made my day. I am so happy for you and Dan and your new family!