Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekend Update

As I write, my husband is in our basement teaching his first ever percussion lesson in our home. He used to teach lessons in a practice room at the university, but since we have upgraded our living situation, he is finally able to charge what he is worth and teach in his own home. I am pretty proud of him and his students are sounding pretty good, too.

Yesterday, Dan and I got up early to go to the Wisconsin State Fair, but some friends called and wanted to know if we could postpone our trip for a few hours and carpool with them. So, I got a nice Saturday morning nap (!) and then we joined up with Mike and Lara and drove to Milwaukee for the fair. Now, coming from Iowa, the Wisconsin State Fair had a lot to live up too. I mean, the Iowa State Fair is so grand that two musicals have been written about it! (Rodgers and Hammerstein's State Fair and another more recent production.) But, I was impressed with Wisconsin's fair. Very much up to par with Iowa! Same delicious, greasy, and calorie packed foods, same livestock competitions, same types of music, same flimsy carnival rides, and the same interesting array of people. (I love to people watch at fairs! You can find some interesting characters!) The only difference I noticed was that the Iowa State Fair seems to have more 4H type contests, with people competing for a blue ribbon in agriculture, livestock, sewing, baking, painting, drawing, sculpting, etc. But, the Wisconsin State Fair has a fantastic exhibition hall filled with booths with fun things to buy! I think next year, I will save my money because I am such an easy sell if I stand and listen to the sales pitch! A man talked me into having my ring cleaned with this non-toxic, eco. friendly stuff and my ring looked so great that I handed him my credit card without hesitation. I mean $24 for a 3-year supply and fantastic looking jewelry...would you pass that up?! There were also several booths of people with their feet in tubs and the water was in various stages of nasty! It was some ion process to relieve your body of toxins (possibly a hoax?) but the water was so gross that I was really tempted to see what sort of toxins would be pulled from my body! But, $20 was just too much to sit with my feet in a tub of water. Maybe next year! But the highlight of our trip to the fair was the Golden Dragon Acrobats. The performers were all contortionist/gymnists and they twisted themselves into some crazy positions while balancing things on their head, while balancing themselves on see-saws. A group of girls did tricks with end-tables like spinning them with their feet while lying on their backs and throwing them to each other and balancing them on one table leg.....all with their feet! But, the man who stole the show stacked several wooden chairs on top of each other until he was at least 30 feet in the air, and did one-handed hand stands and crazy balancing acts. I was terrified for the guy, but very impressed!

All in all, this has been a nice weekend!

No comments: