I never realized how loud my house actually is. I'm not talking about the sounds of Kindermusik CD's playing or the marimba in the basement or the laughter of my son. I'm talking about the noise of electricity.
Just before 9 p.m. this evening, our power went out. In fact, the entire neighborhood was without power. So, I used my trusty iPhone flashlight to get David into bed and when I came downstairs, Dan had lit four candles. We each poured a glass of wine (really, when the power is out, you don't want the Chardonnay in getting warm!) and just sat in the candlelight marveling at the silence. Our phone's still worked, but our internet didn't, so aside from making phone calls, we were stuck with the internet service the towers provide, which is expensive, so the iPhones were silenced.
Right before 11 p.m. the power came back on and the noise was almost deafening! The constant hum from the refrigerator, air conditioning, and ceiling fans is much louder when you realize how peaceful it is without that background noise.
Honestly, my only concerns were not having the monitor to hear David, not having hot water (we have a tankless water heater and the gas to heat the water is triggered by....electricity!), and not having coffee in the morning! But, no worries, the power is back on, my house is extremely noisy, and I will be able to have a hot shower and a cup of coffee in the morning!
I can't decide if the peacefulness of no electricity is worth the cold water, the lack of technology, and the warm Chardonnay.....
No comments:
Post a Comment